THe 2018-19 District Intern program is full!
Admission and Eligibility
District Intern Information Meeting.
The first step for anyone looking at a career in education is attending a LACOE District Intern Information meeting. The information in these meetings will inform you on the process, timelines, and eligibility requirements needed to earn a Preliminary Teaching Credential.
- Possession of a bachelor's degree, with a minimum overall GPA of 2.5, from an accredited university
- Passage of CBEST
- Subject Matter Competency in the area listed on the District Intern Credential through passage of appropriate subject matter examinations, or completion of a CCTC approved multiple or single subject program
- US Constitution
- First time applicant for Intern Certificate
- Successful completion of 160 hours of LACOE's Pre-Service coursework
A non-refundable application and advisement fee of $250 is required upon your scheduled advisement meeting. Advisement includes orientation to the program requirements, transcript evaluation of Bachelor's degree (minimum 2.5 GPA), test score verification, verification of Certificate of Clearance, and pre-service coursework schedule of required classes.
Pre-Service Coursework Fee is $750 and must be paid in full before the first class session.
Upon completion of Advisement, Pre-service coursework, verification of passage of CBEST, CSET and US Constitution requirement, prospective candidates are given a Provisional Letter of Acceptance into the Los Angeles County Office of Education (LACOE) District Intern Program. The purpose of this letter is to confirm the status of the candidate's application to the LACOE District Intern Program. Candidates also use this letter to search for employment in a teaching position.
The autism authorization is embedded in the Education Specialist District Intern Credential.
All payments to the program must be made by cashier's check, money order, or electronic bill pay. If using electronic bill pay, please include the following information to your bank when setting up payments with the bank:
LACOE - Beginning Teacher Program
9300 Imperial Hwy, ECW3230
Downey, CA 90242
* *Account Number
** An account number maybe required by your institution (The program has no specific account number, but you may be required to create a reference number). Any questions regarding this process or any payment, please contact Amy O'Neal at 562-803-8214.
Tuition for the Intern Classes after Pre-Service Coursework Has Been Met)
- Tuition may be paid in a lump sum or in monthly installments, commencing in October or the month the candidate is hired and the first of each month following. This program is not eligible for financial aid.
- The LACOE DISTRICT INTERN PROGRAM is currently $9000 for the four semester program
- Textbooks and Materials - candidates are required to either rent or purchase course textbooks (if required by the course). It is recommended that they rent course textbooks. They are also responsible to purchase and materials required in a course.